Thursday, April 2, 2009

In my next life I want to come back as a Snicker-doodle


If I actually believed in reincarnation, I think that I would like to come back as a Snickerdoodle. I don't think I have ever met anyone who has ever expressed any dislike for these lovely cookies yet. Even the name makes you giggle and cheers your heart. They sure make your mouth smile and the cinnamon sugar coating makes them look so pretty and elegant. So if you want to get a snicker or a smile out of someone then these little cookies will do the trick. This lovely recipe I found a few years ago on Martha Stewart's online recipes and I haven't found it's equal yet, it is crowd pleaser. I also recommend to cut the recipe in half if you aren't going to share them with a crowd. I love using this recipe as a sweet gift at Christmas time because they make so many and have that perfect cinnamon smell for the season. This is one way to bring back lovely memories of the spirit of Christmas that can be brought back into your memory throughout the year when you make these cookies.



Snicker-Doodle Recipe
makes 4 dozen

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
8 tbls. ( 1 stick) unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup pure vegetable shortening
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar (reserve 1/4 cup for coating)
2 tbls. ground cinnamon

In a large bowl sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. In a bowl with an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, combine butter, shortening, and 1/12 cups of sugar. Beat on medium speed about 2 min.  Scrape down sides of bowl and add eggs and beat. Add the dry mix of ingredients from the other bowl and beat.

In a small shallow bowl add 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 tbls. of sugar and mix together. Roll cookie mixture into round balls or use a 1 1/4 oz ice-cream scoop to form balls of dough. Roll the cookie ball gently in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat and place 2 inch. apart on a cookie sheet that has (parchment paper or Silpat mat) I just spray mine with non-stick spray and it works just fine too. I then take the bottom of a flat glass cup and press the cookie down gently a bit. Cook at 400 degrees for about 10 min. or until lightly golden and then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cook for 5 min. Yumm!! Enjoy and don't forget to pour yourself a glass of milk or share these with your friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment