Thursday, April 16, 2009

Save money on books, magazine subscriptions and DVDs-Neighborhood Movie Share, Public Libraries and Half Price Books



I never purchased a new book until I went to college and even then I tried to buy the used books that were cheeper or sell them back to the bookstore after the course was done. The reason for this was because growing up I lived across from a public library and never saw the need to buy new books from a store just to have them sit and collect dust on my bookshelf after I read them. How many times do we actually re-read a book, so we are storing things we don't use. I love the library and our library catalog is connected to all the surrounding libraries in the county so you have several libraries to choose from to find the book you are looking for and they can ship it to your library for you to pick up as well. I also love that you can rent movies for free from our library, rent books on tape and magazines, saving you money on magazine subscriptions and filling up the land fills with paper. My mother and her friends swap their magazines too which is also another alternative to going to the library to get a recent magazine issue. I used to live next to a library in Oakland that even loaned out gardening and handyman tools, which I thought was another amazing money and storage saving idea.

My husband and I also started a DVD Community share list. We asked our friends and neighbors who were interested in swapping their DVD's with us and our friends, to write down their DVD's and we compiled them into a list. We don't buy DVD's anymore because we have so many DVD's from our friends and neighbors to choose from for movie nights or rent them for free from the library. I hope that you can take these money and storage saving ideas and use them and maybe even get a community DVD, magazine or book list going as well with your friends, family and neighbors.

If you are one of those people who has to buy new books, my neighboor told me about a great company called Half Price Books. Here is the link to their site http://www.halfpricebooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment